Skip to main content

2 Ingredient Bagel Dough

Making my sourdough bagels made me realize that I loved fresh, homemade bagels. I mean, who doesn't? But, the time, energy and ingredients that it takes to make bagels almost makes them seem not worth it. That is, until I came across a recipe for 2 ingredient bagel dough!

So, I started out by making the dough:

2 cups self-rising flour
2 cups greek yogurt

Okay, while the dough is 2 ingredients technically, you may need more ingredients if you don't have self-rising flour, which I did not. I also used a thick cashew yogurt instead of the greek yogurt because it was all that I had but it worked just as well! How did I make self-rising flour?

2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

So, I mixed all of these ingredients together to form a dough. It took a little kneading but the dough was surprisingly easy to work with!


Then, I divided the dough into 8 sections, because the recipe made 8 bagels.

 

Then, you would typically shape the bagels by rolling each section into a ball and then sticking your finger into the middle to form the hole. You can then use your fingers to open up the hole a bit more. You're essentially looking to make what looks like a large cheerio. 

You then want to paint an egg wash over the bagels so that they crisp up in the oven:

1 egg
1 tsp water
1/2 tsp salt

Now, I had tried out this recipe before to make sure that it worked and I had just continued on with the recipe and making plain bagels. But this time I wanted to see if the dough could support more add-ins, since I like different flavors of bagels. 

I decided to make a blueberry bagel:

10 blueberries

I kneaded the blueberries into 2 sections of the dough, trying to pop them so they weren't whole and would release a little juice and color. I needed to add in a little more flour in afterwards because the blueberries added a little water to the dough, but overall it worked well.

I also made a peanut butter cinnamon sugar bagel:

2 tbsp powdered peanut butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sugar

I kneaded the powdered peanut butter into 2 sections of the dough, which came together quickly and easily. Then, after I formed the bagels into their shapes, I sprinkled the cinnamon sugar on top.

Finally, I made a nice and classic everything bagel:

1/2 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp poppy seeds
1/2 tsp no salt seasoning
1/2 tsp salt

I mixed all of the ingredients together and sprinkled them over top of the formed bagels.

Once all of my different flavors of bagels had been created, and they were topped with an egg wash and whatever additional toppings their flavor dictated, I preheated my oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.


Once the oven was ready, I popped the bagels in for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, I turned the oven to broil and left the bagels in for an additional 5 minutes, to get nice and brown on top. Finally, it was time to take them out!

 

These bagels took under an hour to make, while other bagels can take up to 24 hours! They were also really delicious, and I loved all of the flavors that I made. I'll definitely make these bagels again soon!





Comments