Skip to main content

Avocado Toast for Seven Days

First, I started off with what I know and like.

Avocado toast with a fried egg. 



I lightly toasted a thick piece of homemade challah, and prepped my avocado:

1/2 avocado
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

The rest of the ingredients I needed:

4 cherry tomatoes
1 egg
hot sauce, to taste

I spread this on top of the challah and topped it with the few halved cherry tomatoes. On top, I added my fried egg (sprinkled with salt and pepper) and drizzled some hot sauce over it all. This combination is frankly unbeatable.

But, I wanted to have fun with trying out new ideas and combinations, so I moved on to my next creation. 

Sweet avocado crostinis.


 

For this one, I sliced up a homemade baguette and toasted three slices. On top, I slathered the avocado spread, which was a little simpler this time:

1/2 avocado
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt + pepper

The rest of the ingredients I needed:

4 strawberries
2 leaves of basil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, reduced

I sliced the strawberries and laid those on top, and then sliced the leaves of basil into strips to top the strawberries. Finally, I made a balsamic reduction by boiling balsamic vinegar for a few minutes and letting it reduce. I drizzled this on top of the mini toasts, and I was good to go.  This was surprisingly delicious, and pretty easy to pull together for such a fancy looking breakfast. 

I liked the use of herbs with avocado toast, so I tried out an avocado toast that my friend posted on her Instagram.  

Blueberry Mint Avocado Toast



I liked playing with adding sweet flavors to avocado toast, so I decided to try a different one. 

I used my homemade sourdough for this one, toasting it until it was just right. I topped the sourdough with my avocado spread:

1/2 avocado
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt + pepper

Then, I got out the rest of my ingredients:

5-10 blueberries
1 basil leaf
1 mint leaf
1/2 tsp fresh lemon
1/2 tsp honey

 I placed the blueberries on top of my toast, then sprinkled a shredded mint leaf and a shredded basil leaf over top. Over everything, I drizzled some fresh lemon juice and honey.

This was really delicious. The combination of the flavors of mint, basil and lemon kept it all very fresh, and pairing the blueberries and honey added this really nice subtle sweetness. The sourdough was the perfect bread to choose, too, because the tang of the bread paired perfectly with the sweet and bright flavors of the rest of the ingredients. 

I was enjoying playing with sweet flavors on avocado toast, so I moved on to try another sweet toast that I'd seen on social media.

Mango avocado toast.

 

For this one, I went back to challah. I accidentally charred my slice while toasting it, but it actually worked nicely with all of the flavors, so next time I'd do that intentionally. I topped the challah with the avocado:

1/2 avocado
2 tsp lemon juice 
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt + pepper
1/2 tsp brown sugar

The rest of the ingredients I needed:

1/4 mango
lemon zest, to taste
brown sugar, to taste

I cut up my mango and turned it into a rose (by watching a tutorial) to top the avocado. On top of it all, I grated some lemon zest and sprinkled some brown sugar. This was good. I probably wouldn't have it again, because it was a bit too time consuming for what I got out of it. But the flavors went well together and it was fun to make!

I still had some stuff in the fridge that I wanted to use up and couldn't think of how, so I tried another one. 

Garlic Bell Pepper Avocado Toast. 

 

 For this avocado toast, I tried to use up another ingredient that I hadn't previously thought of to put on avocado toast. My family gets a box of produce from Misfits Market every week, and this week we got some bell peppers. After thinking about it for a second, I realized that of course bell peppers were gonna taste great on avocado toast. I started by cutting a homemade brioche roll in half, then topped it with the avocado:

1/2 avocado
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt + pepper

Then, I topped that with the rest of my ingredients:

2 mini bell peppers (one red, one yellow)
1 small clove of garlic, minced
 sprinkle of flaky sea salt

This was really good and refreshing. The lemon, avocado, garlic, and bell peppers all worked together to taste summery. In the future I might even roast the bell peppers first, to give the toast an even more savory taste, as opposed to the bright and fresh taste of raw bell peppers.

Then, I made homemade sourdough bagels with my sourdough starter, which gave me an idea.

Avocado Toast Bagel.


For this one, I started by toasting one half of my homemade sesame seed sourdough bagel on a pan. In the meantime, I made my avocado spread:

1/2 avocado
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

I left off the lemon juice this time because I knew that I wouldn't need the brightness and acidity from it once I added all of my other ingredients:

1 tbsp cream cheese
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp no salt seasoning

I spread my toasted bagel with the cream cheese first, and then layered the avocado on top. I sprinkled the top with sesame seeds and no salt seasoning. 

While this was good, I actually wished that I was just eating a bagel with cream cheese. Sometimes less is more, which was the thought that led me to my last avocado toast.

Fast & Easy Classic Avocado Toast.  

 

 At this point, I was really missing my typical avocado toast. All of the others were delicious but honestly nothing had impressed me so much that I was going to replace my all time favorite. 

I was getting really hungry in the afternoon, and wanted a snack--fast! I decided to make a simplified version of my favorite avocado toast and call that a new spin on avocado toast. I sliced a brioche roll into quarters, leaving me with some nice, thin, small pieces of brioche. I lightly toasted these. I then prepped the avocado:

1/2 avocado
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt + pepper

The rest of the ingredients that I needed:

1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
hot sauce, to taste

The part where I really streamlined the process is that I cracked an egg onto a plate, whisking it briefly with my fork. I ground on some salt and pepper, and then popped the plate into the microwave for 1 minute. After a minute, I had a round, thin sheet of egg ready to go. I sliced this into four triangles, then layered those on top of the avocado toasts--two triangles per toast. 

Where I typically would have to wait about 5 or more minutes to perfectly fry up an egg on the oven, here I was done with putting together the toast after about 2 minutes. The bread can toast and the egg can microwave in unison, all while you're prepping the avocado! I drizzled some hot sauce on top, and it was good to go! This genuinely might replace my typical version of the avocado toast--it was so fast and easy and I barely noticed a difference!

 


Comments