Skip to main content

Decorated Focaccia

After making so many different types of bread in quarantine, I've come to realize that focaccia is probably the easiest bread I've made. It comes together with only a few simple ingredients, requires only one real rise, and can be made and eaten in the span of about two hours. And, it's delicious.

I hadn't started this blog yet when I made focaccia for the first time, so it seemed like a good idea to make it again. I also had a lot of people asking me to make artsy, decorated focaccia, which is a trend that is going around social media right now. So, of course, I had to do it.

Per the recipe, I began by making an herbed olive oil:

1 tbsp rosemary
3 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil

I cut a bunch of sprigs of rosemary from my garden, and de-stemmed and chopped the rosemary. I used a lot of rosemary, in place of using both rosemary and thyme, like it suggests in the recipe. I also added an addition clove of garlic, and chopped up 3 instead of 2, because I love garlic.

I poured the olive oil into a small saucepan over low heat, and added in the rosemary, garlic, and black pepper. I let that simmer for about 5 minutes, and took it over the heat right as the garlic started to brown.

 

Then, I started working on the dough:

1 cup warm water
1 packet of yeast
1/4 teaspoon honey
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
herbed olive oil


First, I started by mixing together the water, yeast and honey. I let that sit for five minutes, until the yeast had bloomed a little bit. I then added in 1 cup of the flour and 1/4 cup of the herbed olive oil and mixed those in. I let that sit for another five minutes. Finally, I added in the rest of the flour and the salt.

I floured my surface and kneaded my dough until smooth. Focaccia dough is a pretty easy dough to work with, so it came together quickly.

 

I then oiled my mixing bowl and put the dough back in. I covered it with a damp towel and let it rest for 1 hour. After an hour, the dough had risen quite a bit and was very light and airy.



I preheated my oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, I drizzled 2 tbsp of the herbed olive oil onto a 13 inch baking sheet.



Next, I dumped the dough onto the baking sheet and spread it out so it covered the entire sheet. I dimpled the dough with my fingers, and spread the last of the herbed olive oil over top.



I let my dough rest for another 20 minutes to rise while I prepped my toppings for decorating. I scoured my fridge and home garden, and came up with some good ideas!



I ended up finding pea flowers, kale flowers, broccoli, radish, tomatoes, garlic, black olives and lemons--all things that would taste great on a bread, so I was happy with my choices! After 20 minutes, it was time to decorate the dough. I decided to decorate it vertically, and I went to work.

 

This was incredibly fun. I loved being able to be creative and artistic while baking! I drizzled some extra oil over the toppings to try to ensure that they didn't burn, and popped the dough into the oven for 20 minutes.

 

When the bread came out, I was pleased with my work! Some parts of it had burned a bit, but most of it didn't. I actually liked the slight burning of some of my toppings--I felt like the edges of the garlic burning made my radish flowers look even more like flowers.

I cut myself a nice big slice of focaccia, cutting out the sun, and taste tested it. I LOVED the taste of the thinly sliced lemon on the focaccia, and even if I don't decorate the bread in the future, I think that I would really love incorporating the lemon into future renditions. The flavor went so perfectly with the bread, adding a really nice brightness and freshness to the already delicious and airy bread.
Overall, I had a lot of fun with this project, and I'm super glad that I did it. I even think that focaccia is going to be my go-to bread now!








Comments